Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Mini Reviews (IX)

Todays' Mini Reviews post focus on books versus TV shows. One book (LA Candy) is inspired by a reality show (The Hills), the other book I review has made the opposite journey and has been made into a TV show (Lipstick Jungle).


LA Candy - Lauren Barnholdt
As a new fan of The Hills, I couldn't resist reading LA Candy! And - surprisingly - I really enjoyed it! LA Candy is of course heavenly influenced by Lauren Conrad's personal experience in the reality TV world. Jane and Scarlett's story is very similar to Lauren and Heidi's story. Unimaginative perhaps - but also very fascinating. While reading tons of questions like "Did this happen to Lauren too?" and "Who in The Hills is X supposed to be?" popped into my mind.
Even if you aren't a The Hills fan, this book offers a great insight into the reality TV business, and it leaves you wondering just how much in the shows are actually "reality" and how much are set up by the producers?

Rating: 3.75 of 5


Lipstick Jungle - Candace Bushnell
I haven't watched the TV show Lipstick Jungle, so I can't say whether the show stay true to the book or not. I can say however, that Lipstick Jungle offers an interesting insight to the life of successful business women. What does it take to be on top? How much are you willing to sacrifice to become successful? One thing is certain - staying on top is much harder than getting to the top! Just ask Nico, Wendy and Victory - all women, New Yorkers, ambitious, successful and powerful - but not perfect, they all have problems like everyone else...

Rating: 3 of 5

3 kommentarer:

brizmus said...

I can't believe you liked LA Candy. I've never understood the appeal of the Hills, but I've kind of wanted to read this book because, well, it's a book and all. If you liked it, maybe I should give it a chance.

I really couldn't stand lipstick jungle, though. . .

YA Book Queen said...

Hmm...I've been very hesitant to read LA Candy (mostly because Lauren is not a writer, she needed help to even write the book). I might check it out at my library though, because it would be cool to learn a bit more about the reality tv business. Lipstick Jungle doesn't really sound like my kind of story, though

Nice mini reviews! Very concise and to the point :)

Sara said...

La candy was surprisingly interesting! the story wasn't the most intereting I've read, but the reality TV aspect was fun to read about!

Lipstick Jungle took me months to finish, needless to say, I didn't like it that much! ;)