Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mini Reviews (V)

* Mini Reviews of non-vampire books I've read lately.


The Naughty List - Suzanne Young
My expectations on this book were very high, sadly I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I didn't connect with the characters at all. Tessa, the main character, was described as 'always perky, always purrrfect'. In my opinion she was a bit too perky, priss and clinging. Her relationship with her boyfriend, Aiden, was very physical and seemed very cozy. I couldn't see any sparks between them though! I instantly depreated Christian, the new boy in town. He fell in love with Tessa the minute he saw her and immediately started to tuch her (inappropriately) , and suck up to her. Eww, he was a cloying person! If I would have reviewed this book midway through it, it would have gotten a lower score. BUT I liked the way the story turned around and I loved the ending - it was like taken from a high school movie (and those who know me, know that I loove high school movies!). So the ending saved the rating to: 3.5 of 5



Breathing - Cheryl Renee Herbsman
Breathing is about Savannah, a 15 year old girl suffering from asthma. When she meets Jackson she's convinced that he is her true love and soul mate. They sneak around her mama's strict rules and hang out together. Savannah is convinced that her asthma has improved since she met Jackson, and that it will be worse once he leaves her. So when Jackson is called away to help his family, Savannah has no choice than to learn to breath on her own - both literally and figuratively.
This story is set in Savannah, and written from Savannah's PoW. It is therefore written in a Southern dialect - which I found a bit hard to read. Savannah was a bit immature and insecure, but she was only 15 so that might be reasonable. I still think that she acted a bit childish from time to time. Read this one if you like books set in the south, or books about first love/summer love. You might like it, I had a hard time finishing it.
Rating: 2 of 5


The Espressologist - Kristina Springer
What's your drink of choice? 17-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders - and it's a success! Soon everyone knows about Jane's 'Espressology' and wants her to find their perfect matches. But why does it feel so strange to watch her best friend, Em, and the cute Cam dating? She was the one who set them up after all! Shouldn't she be happy for them?
The Espressologist was a cute, but somewhat predictable read. The idea of 'Espressology' was very clever and original, and I'm curious to see if it works in real life! I wonder what Jane would say about a Vanilla Bean drinker. . .
Rating: 3.75 of 5

You can now find all mini reviews here!

3 kommentarer:

brizmus said...

It kind of seems like you haven't really been having great luck with non-vampire books lately. . .

Bere said...

Love your mini reviews! I actually passed on The Naughty List, it's not my type of book. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Breathing. I got this one this weekend. Can't wait to read it. The Espressologist, sounds like fun. I would like to read this one. I'm off to do some research on it! Awesome mini reviews =)

vvb32 reads said...

love the espressologist cover. always feel like a mocha. and if i ever read one i should have one at hand ;-D

btw: you've been awarded ;-D
http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/02/most-amazing-follower-award.html