Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Book Review: Bloodlines

Title: Bloodlines
Series: Bloodlines #1
Author: Richelle Mead
Published: August 2011

The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.
When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

My Thoughts: This book is set in the same world as Vampire Academy, but with a different narrator. I wasn't sure if I was going to like Sydney as a narrator or not, since I didn't feel like I had gotten to know her enough in the Vampire Academy books. But, as I read Bloodlines, I started to like Sydney more and more. She's loyal, passionate and fair. While she isn't as strong or protective as Rose, she has a softer and more emotional side, which I really enjoyed seeing.

Both Rose and Dimitri make an appearance in this book, but I have to say that it felt a bit weird to read about them from Sydney's point of view.

Along with Sydney, Adrian, Eddy and Jill are the main characters of this book. I loved to read about Adrian & Sydney's constant banter, and how they slowly became friends. Jill was a pest in this book, she acted so selfish and whiny all the time. And Eddie, he still felt like a background character.

This book started out slow, but slowly grew more charming, exciting and fun! I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series, a series which I'm sure will grow into a series just as good as the Vampire Academy!

Rating: 4 of 5