Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: The Pledge

Title: The Pledge
Series: The Pledge #1
Author: Kimberly Derting
Release Date: November 15, 2011
In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines what class you are, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place—looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution.  
Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she’s been hiding her whole life. Her only place of release is the drug-filled underground club scene, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she’s never heard, and her secret is almost exposed.  
Through a series of violent upheavals, it becomes clear that Charlie herself is the key to forcing out the oppressive power structure of her kingdom….
My Thoughts:

Magic, dystopia, mystery, romance - this novel has it all!
Charlie was a great character. She was caring and loving, but she wasn't weak or stupid. She didn't trust anyone - even if they were hot and charming.
Charlie wasn't the only good character in this book - I liked them all! Protective and noble Max,  mysterious and conspiring Xander, the sweet and helpful best friend Aron, and Brooklynn the beautiful girl with hidden depths. Derting made me care for each character, and she made them all likeable and interesting in their own way (Queen Sabara was not likeable of course! She was pure evil, so the feelings I got for her were more like hatred).

Although this is a dystopian novel, that part didn't take overhand. I am sure the great characters and the sweet romance will win readers over - dystopian fans or not!

I liked The Pledge far more than I liked The Body Finder, Derting's first book. And I am already awaiting the sequel, which i'm afraid won't be published until next year at the earliest...

Cover Thoughts:
Absolutely stunning! Definitely one of my favourite covers this year.

Rating: 4.5 of 5

3 kommentarer:

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Wonderful review :) This is a book that I have high on my wishlist. I liked Derting's first novel but The Pledge sounds much better.

Nina said...

I just lowered my exectations for this book. I just (seriously) read two reviews for this book that gave this book low ratings (lower than four) and they didn't cared for the characters. But you just made it sound so good. I'm confused. lol. No, I seriously need to read this book!

Lola said...

Really looking forward to reading this one! Great review! :)