Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review: The Iron King

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey #1
Published: 2010

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

Then a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

My Thoughts:
Take a little bit of Narnia, some faerie traits from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series and threw in a couple of characters from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Mix it all together, and then season it with an Alice in Wonderland feeling. What do you get? The Iron King of course!

I was a bit reluctant of reading this book at first. True, I had heard great stuff about it, but faeries still weren't my thing. Then an opportunity that was too good to pass up on turned up, to download the book for free. I'm not one to pass up on free books, so I downloaded it right away! But the book stayed unread on my computer, I choose to read other books instead.
Then one day I finally started reading it, only to stop again about 20 pages in. The story seemed a bit too, I don't know, childish, and I once again read other books instead. Then months later I finally got back to it, read past page 20 - and immediately got sucked in in the rich and imaginative story!

Meghan was a good character, a sweet and honest girl although maybe a bit too naive at times. Puck was amusing, and seemed to be on Meghan's side, but again he is a faerie and can therefor not be trusted. Ash was from a rival faerie court, and had his own agenda and plans involving Meghan. He was cold and distant at times, but could be incredibly charming and helpful the next. No wonder this series has divided readers into Team Ash and Team Puck!

Rating: 4 of 5

6 kommentarer:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Good review! I really did fall fast in love with this series! Mostly because I had won the first two books in a contest and when I finally got around to them I realized they were pretty good. Meghan is a little naive in the first book, but her character really does grow in the next two! And the fourth one was just plain awesome!

You really get into the series as it progresses, sure the characters might irritate you at times, but that tends to happen sometimes when reading!

Highly recommend that you read the next two books, as well as the Iron Knight! It stars Ash as the narrator, but Puck's still there and it was really great! I have reviews up for the other two, my review for the Iron Knight goes up next month, if you were curious!

Nina said...

You had me with the combination! I love Wicked Lovely and Narnia! Hello! So good! :)

Lola said...

Glad you liked this one! The rest of the series is really good too! :)

YA Book Queen said...

Puck is definitely amusing ;)

Nice review! Glad you enjoyed it once you kept reading,

Bere said...

Fantastic review, Sara! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I love this series. I truly do. Can't wait to read The Iron Knight. =)

Peter said...

Peter is an author, psychology professor and former private practitioner. But Peter himself didn't put pen to paper at all, and he once even stated he'd never read them coz he "Knew what was in them anyway". Peter may have 500 articles in Canadian and USA media/magazines written and also many more books, so you could try looking up?

http://www.petersacco.com/about_peter.html

I read books written HAUNTED NIAGARA: LEGENDS, MYTHS AND HOAXES .Peter who can write their own work. Thanks