Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mini Reviews (IV)

Wild Heart by Lori Brighton
This book is marked as a historical romance - but it's so much more than that! This book contains a mystery that kept me guessing until the very last pages, fascinating life stories, some paranormal bits, and great character development. The story is told from the two main characters', Leo & Ella's (love their names), point of view, which offers a great insight in these two strong characters hearts and minds. An impressing debut book, I got so much more than I expected!
Rating: 4.5 of 5




The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
Three female students from Ashbury High write to three male students from rival Brookfield High as part of a pen pal program, leading to romance, humiliation, revenge plots, and war between the schools. This story was told in letters, e-mails, diary excerpt etc. An interesting, but not great format in my opinion. I would have loved to see some "real" dialogue, instead of reading about events retrospectively. The premise of this book sounded really good, but sadly I was a bit disappointed, as I expected another kind of novel. It did have some funny parts though!
Rating: 2.75 of 5




3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows by Ann Brashares
I was a big fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (also written by Ann Brashares), but sadly 3 Willows felt a little bit like an insequre little sister, trying to walk in her older sister's shoes. The book wasn't amazing, but it was still very enjoyable, and another great book about the importance of friendship. Probably more suitable and enjoyable for younger teens!
Rating: 3.75 of5

3 kommentarer:

brizmus said...

I've been wanting to read both 3 Willows and the Year of Secret Assignments! So sad to hear that they're weren't so great. :-(

Nina said...

I only have heard of the last book, but I never heard of the other two's. I like the sound of the first one, a great mystery. :)
And the cover is very nice.

Lola said...

Sorry that The Year of Secret Assignments and 3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows were such let downs! :(