Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

Mini Reviews (I)

I've decided to try a new thing on my blog. I have only reviewed vampire books so far, and I want to keep it that way. BUT I feel bad about not sharing my thoughts about non-vampire books I've won in contests, or great books that I've borrowed from the library. That's why I'm going to do posts like this one every once in a while, so I can share some thoughts on non-vampire related books I've read recently. Hope you'll enjoy my mini reviews :)


Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens
Zoe isn't your typical teenager. Her sister is autistic and needs constant supervision, her brother is a pothead and her parents are so overwhelmed that they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. So Zoe escapes the only way she knows: parting. Then Zoe meets Matthias. Matthias always turns up when Zoe, or rather when her sister Abria, needs him. But why can't anyone beside Zoe and Abria see him?
This book was really good and well-written. Laurens did a great job with capturing the struggle, heartache and all emotions a family with an autistic child goes through every day. Zoe's feelings for her little sister was so realistic; frustration, helplessness, and at the same time love. Zoe's relationship with Matthias was also very well-written, and I was impressed with how intense their relationship was, and how they could feel so strongly about each other, without being able to touch each other. Rating: 4 of 5



Queen of Babble Gets Hitched by Meg Cabot
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Meg Cabot can't write a bad book. This is the third and last book in the Queen of Babble trilogy, and by far my favorite book in the series! So if you've read, and liked, the previous books in this series, you will love this book! Besides, don't you want to know who Lizzie will choose?
Rating: 4 of 5

P.S. The film rights for the Queen of Babble series have been optioned by Sharp Independent Films, and apparently Kristen Bell has agreed to play Lizzie Nichols! Awesome! Isn't she perfect for the role?




Fallen by Lauren Kate
When Luce enrolls in the Sword & Cross boarding school, a school for troubled kids, she is immediately drawn to two different guys - Daniel who's nothing but rude and wants nothing to do with Luce, and Cam who's nice and always there for Luce. The choice should be easy, but Luce can't help feeling drawn to Daniel. What she doesn't know is that this paranormal love triangle might not only break her heart - but kill her. . .
The story was quite original, and the mythology was well thought-through. I knew what this book was about before I started reading it, I would probably have liked it better if the paranormal aspect came as a surprise. While I was reading this book I found myself suspecting almost every character to be "a bad guy" or some sort of unhuman creature - and when almost all characters turned out to be a supernatural being it felt quite unbelievable and disappointing to me. It would have been nice if more than two characters in this book actually were human! I also felt that this book moved too slow, and I didn't get "hooked" until near the end. Rating: 3 of 5

1 kommentarer:

Lola said...

I am sorry that Fallen was a bit of a letdown for you. :( Looks like you enjoyed your other selections a bit more! :)